Charles is a Certified Financial Planner with over 18 years experience in the industry. Prior to becoming a financial adviser Charles worked as a Commercial Lawyer with a major Tasmanian law firm, where he declined the opportunity of a partnership to pursue his passion of helping people make smart financial decisions to enable them to live the life in which they want to live.
Charles was a Principal and Private Client Adviser with the Shadforth Financial Group for over 14 years but left to establish the boutique practice Main Street Financial Solutions (www.mainstreetfs.com.au) with his business partner Rebecca Fergusson in late 2013. The aim of establishing that practice was to provide personal, professional, accessible, unaligned fee for service financial advice to private clients.
The business has grown significantly and has been recognised nationally as an industry leader where they were a national finalist for the Independent Financial Adviser Excellence Awards for the Best Boutique Business in 2016. With a strong support structure behind him, Charles enjoys being able to make a meaningful difference to his clients’ lives.
Charles has won a number of industry awards for his work in the financial services industry
• Association of Financial Advisers (AFA) Excellence in Education – National Winner 2015
• Independent Financial Adviser (IFA) Excellence Awards Editor Choice Award 2015 for
promoting independent financial advice nationally
• Independent Financial Adviser (IFA) Excellence Awards – Innovator of the Year 2014.
• Money Management Australian Financial Planner of the Year 2011
• Financial Planning Association of Australia Value of Advice National Award in the Pre
Retirement Category (2010)
• Financial Standard Innovation, Leadership and Excellence in Social Media for Financial
Services in Australia Award (2012)
• Future2 Community Service National Best Practice Award (2011) for his involvement in
improving financial literacy amongst the socially disadvantaged
Charles has also written a self-help financial book “Old Head on Young Shoulders” which made
the national bestseller list. Charles has also co-written with Rebecca Fergusson two
eBooks – “Secrets of Successful Investors” and “How to Choose your Financial Planner.”
Charles is an associate member of the Financial Planning Association of Australia, the
Association of Financial Advisers and the Law Society of Tasmania.
Outside of the office Charles is married, has 3 children, supports the North Melbourne Football Club and enjoys juggling the demands of the modern family.
His children are actively involved in hockey, and his wife coaches a number of teams so Charles spends a lot of his time supporting their endeavours. Charles is also a member of the Fahan School Board (www.fahan.tas.edu.au) and Chairman of the Impact100 Tasmania Chapter (impact100Tasmania.com.au).